Sole Trader - Employee Details Screen
This screen is used to add and maintain details relating to employees.
To successfully run a payroll for an employee some base information must exist. In summary this information is:
- Initial employee details including name, address and start date
- PAYE and National Insurance information, including the details of any student loans in existence
- The details of any pension scheme the employee belongs to and the relevant contributions.
- The details of Pay and PAYE Tax from any previous employment in the current tax year.
- Whether any deductions are to be made for court orders or loans.
- Details of pay for the payroll period.
New Starters under RTI (Real Time Information)
Under RTI filing significant employee information is required to be submitted to HMRC. It is recommended that the following information be entered for new starters as accurately as possible. Where a new employee does not have a P45 then the starting tax code that the employer can use is based upon answers given to the Starter Declaration in the Employment Details tab (see below) of the Employee Details. Follow the link to the HMRC site for guidance. www.gov.uk/government/publications/paye-starter-checklist
Enter the title, first, middle and last name information of the employee or officer. The display name is constructed as the information is entered.
For payroll purposes the employee gender is required and will be reported on RTI filings.
If the employee passport has been inspected as part of checking the right to work in the UK, then the Passport Number must be entered
Date of Birth
For payroll purposes a date of birth is required and will be reported on RTI filings. The correct age appropriate NI category will be will be applied when the Date of Birth has been verified. Note a warning will be displayed before a payroll is run if a Date of Birth has not been verified when an age related adjustment may be necessary.
Enter home address of the employee and other contact details.
Enter a valid email address associated with this employee.
This address will be used if payslips or P60 End of Year Certificates are sent by email from within the system.
For cases when documents are emailed to this employee, select the method by which the recipient retrieves the document. Either as an attachment to the email or as a link to the document.
HMRC Starter Notification Status
If the payroll is being used and there has been a previous FPS for this employee in this entity (say from another payroll system) select HMRC Previously Notified. However if it will be the first time the employee will be reported on a FPS return for this entity then tick HMRC Notification Required. Supplementary employee starter declarations will appear. Select the one that applies.
Note you are strongly advised to ensure the declaration is accurate by consulting your employee.
Enter the employment start date.
Reinstate Employee Button
Where an employee has been processed as a leaver this button will be visible. Click on REINSTATE EMPLOYEE to activate reinstatement, read and dismiss the warning message to complete the process. Offices held are also reinstated.
Set a specific cost analysis for an employee that will overwrite the organisation analysis.
Click on the green + symbol to enter a new allocation and select the analysis items from the Branches/Funds/Activities drop-down fields. Amend the % (percentage) field as required. Click the green + symbol again to other lines. Note the percentages must sum to 100%. Click SUBMIT to store.
Auto Enrolment Details
The tab displays some pension auto-enrolment details for the employee. It is recommended that appropriate professional advice is taken in dealing with AE matters.
- Last Assessment
- The date of the last assessment for AE purposes. Taken from payroll run records.
- Last Assessed Status
The status of the employee at the date of the last assessment. The status can be:
- Auto Enrol - The employee must be enrolled in a complaint pension scheme
- Opt-in Candidate - The employee has a right to opt-in to a pension scheme
- Entitled - The employee has a right to join a pension scheme
- Date Opted Out
- A user managed field to record the date an
Auto Enrol employee has opted out of a scheme.This
date is used to prompt for re-auto-enrolment.
- Statutory Retirement Date
- A system determined date computed from Government data using the date of birth and gender.
- Working/Ordinarily Working in UK Indicator
- The default is ticked (yes) and confirms that the employee is subject to the AE environment by virtue of being UK employee. Un-ticking the box means the employee is eliminated from any assessment.