Setting up Officers and Employees
What are Officers and Employees?
For Companies, Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs) and Not-for-Profit Charities certain persons connected with the entity must be appointed to hold legal responsibilities. These appointees are commonly known as Officers. The notion of an officer does not really exist for a Sole Trader.
- Officers of a Company
- Directors and the Company secretary (If the post exists within the Company) are the officers of a company. For any UK company currently, at least one director must exist. A director must sign the annual accounts. Note that a shareholder is not an officer of the company unless also appointed a director or company secretary. Equally a person can be appointed a director or company secretary and therefore an officer who is not a shareholder.
- Officers of a LLP
- There must be a minimum of two members of the partnership, because there must be at least two Designated Members who carry responsibilities similar to those of a company secretary and an accounts signing Director. These Designated Members are in effect the officers of the LLP.
- Officers of a Sole Trader
- A sole trader will not have any recognised officers.
- Trustee (or Council member) of a Not for Profit Organisation
- A charity trustee is a person who has general control and management of the administration of a charity regardless of what they are called. If you are unsure as to whether you may be a charity trustee or not please consult your advisor.
- Employees are all those who have an employment contract with the entity. This can include shareholders, directors and company secretary of a company and members of an LLP. A sole trader can also have employees.
Setting up an Employee
Information about employees can be used in a number of places in Liberty Accounts.
- P11D Reports
- Company Vehicles
- Mileage claims
- Expense claims
Setting up a new employee is done from the Payroll (or People) menu
Payroll - Add Employee
People - Add Employee
Note that an employee may also be added from the Manage Employees screen
A form with several tabs is displayed where all the relevant information is entered and subsequently maintained
In the Personal Details tab enter the relevant details; note many are mandatory. The Passport Number field is used in connection with RTI payroll filing. An employees passport number is included where checks have been carried out by the employer to satisfy themselves the person has the right to work in the UK.
Employment start date is entered in the Employment Details tab. Note the Employment Ended date is populated by the system from a payroll leaver process.
Where Branch analysis is being used the employee costs may be allocated to a branch.
For a Not-for-Profit entity there will be a Fund selection available. It is mandatory to select a Fund.
If Activity analysis is being used then the employee may also be associated with a selected activity and any payroll costs will be reported to that activity.
Using the Posts Held tab the details of officer positions are set.
Select those offices the person will hold and input the required data. In the case of a company the offices are Director or Company Secretary. The tab allows details of the dates of appointment and resignation. The Date Ended field only being visible after the officer has been set up in the first place.
For an LLP the offices are designated member and company secretary. The tab allows details of dates of appointment and resignation. The Date Ended field only being visible after the officer has been set up in the first place.
For a Not for Profit Organisation the person can be appointed as a trustee.
Address details, some of which are mandatory, are entered in the Contact Details tab. The E-mail Address is used when a user selects a document perhaps Payslip or End of Year Certificate P60 to be e-mailed directly from within the system to this employee/officer. You are therefore are advised to ensure that it is appropriate and accurate.